Haven't been able to update cos I've been really busy T.T I dun even have the time to bake anymore. Anyhow, Mid-Autumn Festival is coming so here's a recipe for my favourite Snowskin Mooncake!! :D It's been a few years since I last made them alr :( Actually Im quite busy with my thesis right nw but Im trying to find time within these few days to make if possible. So I'll post pics after I get to make. For nw, it's just the recipe. Snowskin Mooncake is quite easy to make as compared to the traditional ones & anyone can make it as long as you have the ingredients & the mould. The only more difficult part would be wrapping the filling with the skin. That one really takes some time to practise but nth beats home-made ones :) All the ingredients can be found from Phoon Huat (go google for the shop; they have a lot of branches in SG).
Here we go:
1. 150g Fried Glutinous Rice Flour (糕粉)
2. 250g Icing Sugar (糖粉)
3. 50g Crisco aka shortening (白油)
4. 130ml Cold Water (has to be boiled beforehand) (煮过的冷水)
5. 1/4 teaspoon pandan/banana essence (班兰/香蕉的香精)
6. 800g lotus paste/red wine paste/ durian paste/ any pastes that are to your liking
7. Food colouring is optional; I usually dun add cos I want it to be healthier hahaha!
1. Sift the Fried Rice Flour, Icing Sugar into a big bowl before adding the Crisco. Rub the crisco into the flour mixture with fingertips.
2. Mix water and the essence together before adding the liquid mixture into the bowl of flour, sugar & crisco. Mix thoroughly. You can add the food colouring after u have the dough ready if you want.
3. Divide the dough mixture into 50g each & the filling into ard 55g each (can also be 25g dough, 30g filling each; it really depends how big or small you want your mooncake to be)
4. Flatten the mooncake skin and place the filling in the centre of the dough before wrapping it. (Dust some flour onto the table and your hand to prevent the skin from sticking)
5. Put the dough with filling into the mooncake mould and press firmly to get the imprint on it. Turn the mould over and give a few taps to loosen the mooncake & tada! the mooncake is done. A nice mooncake shud have imprints from the mould onto the skin :) (a tip will be to dust some flour onto the mould before putting the mooncake dough into it cos it might stick onto the mould & you'll end up having difficulty getting it out and may ruin the imprint)
6. Chill in fridge. Serve cold.
Yup, that's all for this recipe!! Fast, easy & yummy! :D Will update with pictures if I have the time to make. Happy Mid-Autumn Festival in advanceee!! :))
UPDATE (photos of the mooncake that I made in 2017 LOLOL one year later hehe)
Click for: Introduction
A fresh grad who is passionate in baking. Not a professional but I enjoy baking for my loved ones :) This blog is mainly for the purpose of recording down what I've tried baking throughout the years. I get my inspirations from various outlets, mainly: